WILSON FIELD, HOME OF THE GENERALS
Wilson Field, the home site for over 280 Washington and Lee football games since the 1920's has remained one of the transcendent traditions in the changing face of W&L football. The latest upgrade to the stadium was completed in the summer of 1996 as the locker and equipments rooms were completely renovated giving W&L an outstanding facility.
Wilson Field is named after William L. Wilson, president of the University from February 1897 until his death in 1900. Wilson, a congressman and later Postmaster General for the Grover Cleveland administration before coming to Lexington, provided the college with farsighted and diligent leadership.
Wilson Field initially consisted of the main athletic field and a small set of bleachers. The field was improved in 1923 and a 3,000-seat stadium was added in the spring and summer of 1924. W&L fans filled the new stadium for the first time on Sept. 27, 1924 and watched the Generals defeat Roanoke College 34-0. With an expansion in 1929 and refurbishments over the years, Wilson Field, now has a seating capacity of 7,000.
Coming into the 2000 season, W&L has a record of 145-136-13 at Wilson Field. W&L has had 17 undefeated seasons at Wilson Field, most recently in 1985.
Contact: Brian Laubscher
Sports Information Director
PO Drawer 928
Lexington, VA 24450